4 Sept 2010

Apple and Raspberry Crumbles

Y'see... Yesterday was a bit rough. I was steamed, I was stabbed and I had my ankles and heels mangled to death by some shoes I love too much not to wear.

What's a girl to do on a bad day like that?

Grab an apple, some frozen raspberries and a lovely mix of flour, butter, sugar and oats, you say? Why, that sounds like a brilliant idea! A crumble it is!


Now, I'm a strong believer in crumbles being all down to preference. Some people love loads of fruit, some love loads of crumble, some people like somewhere in between. I personally like an even amount of both or a helluva lot more crumble. I'm talking a 1:9 fruit and crumble ratio here, guys. But you may be a little different. In fact, I'm sure you are. That's why I'm a little dubious with giving out this recipe. 

But y'know what? Bugger it. I love crumble, you must love crumble. So... lets make crumble?

Now, I only made one of these. All for myself. It was a little bit sad, and a little bit pathetic and a little bit selfish but... I don't care.

I ate that crumble in all my sad, pathetic, selfish glory and I grinned at my mother whilst she sat there looking disappointed with me. But y'know what? For that one moment that day, my aching bleeding feet didn't ache so much any more. And I'd exchange that for all the disappointment in the world any day.

Nom.



Raspberry and Apple Crumbles.

(Now. This makes one crumble in a 3.5inch diameter ramekin. Times it by however many crumbles you want, or by about 5-6 for a bigger crumble, probably more depending on the size of your dish.

Also, this is the one dish I make that I don't measure up exactly. I just grab a dessert spoon and do everything with that and my hands, purely because it doesn't matter if I go wrong with the measurements and even in the unlikely event that I do, it's easy to correct. So I absolutely encourage you to alter the measurements here if you see fit.)


Topping
35g plain flour
15-20g butter
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp oats

Filling
1 apple
7 raspberries (fresh or frozen)
a sprinkle of sugar

Preheat your oven to gas-mark 5 (375F/190C).

Put flour and butter into a bowl. Rub the butter into the flour until it's all crumbed together. (The general rule with making crumble topping, and short crust pastry, is half fat to flour so however much crumble topping you make, just stick to that rule and it should be fine but if you can squish it down in the bowl and it sticks together in a clump and then you can crumble it right back up again, it's perfect.)

Now, lightly rub in the sugar and oats and put the topping to the side.

Grab a chopping board and peel and hack up that apple. I cut mine into relatively small pieces, considering the size of my dish, so if you use a large one, just cut them up a little bigger. You may also want to cut up some of your raspberries too, if they're especially big, so you can evenly distribute them in the filling.

Now you fill up your dish with your filling! Once the dish is filled, sprinkle some sugar on top and mix it around a little bit.


Then take your topping and sprinkle it on top, pushing down lightly to compact it. Sprinkle a little more sugar and oats on the top, if it takes your fancy, and you're done. It's that easy.

Bake it in your preheated oven for 15 minutes, and then turn up the heat to gas-mark 6-7 (400-425F/200-220C) for a final 15 minutes until the top is golden brown.

You can eat it hot, or leave it to go cold and eat it later, like I did. You could even cook it, leave it to go cold (I'm thinking... the next day?) and then heat it right back up in the oven again so you can eat it warm! Isn't that great? Yeah, I thought so too...

Which is exactly why I scoffed the lot as soon as I'd eaten a whole load of lasagne, because I couldn't resist it any longer. Which just happens to be the reason why I have no pictures of the glory that was the finished result, or the filling which had all turned a wonderful shade of pink. So I'm afraid you'll just have to put up with a picture of the uncooked result.

It's still pretty wonderful though, wouldn't you say?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment